Friday, October 22, 2010

A Family Fable and the Colorado Governor's Race

(Source: Backgrounds Ipod App)
I think it's time for me to share a fable, or a little story if you will, from my childhood.

My father, God rest his soul, was a good and decent man.  He drove quite a bit as his job as a traveling salesman for a number of companies over the years required it.  So he knew many of the "back roads" that were scenic and just downright beautiful whenever we would go anywhere.  It was always a pleasant experience to travel in this way.  However, if any part of the trip required use of what we called "the bypass" (or highway as it is more often defined) he became another man.  He had an intense sense of right and wrong when it came to highway etiquette.

This lead to many hair-raising encounters with very large trucks and tourists from out-of-state.  He would rarely "give in," insisting that "he was in the right and by goodness he was going to make sure everyone knew that.  Now, my mom was a woman of few words, but very talented at stern looks and heavy sighs.  I watched over the years as she tried to get my dad to be a little safer.  She told him, it is not that important, just let it go.  He did not take the hints.

One day after an especially scary encounter my mom looked at my dad.  I think she was on the verge of tears, but the anger in her voice came through.  She said to him, "Yes, Russ, you had the right of way.  There is no question about that.  So I suppose what we should do is arrange to have written on our tombstones is, 'He was right.  He and his family are all still dead, but by goodness he was RIGHT!"

I am reminded of this story after listening to all the various points and arguments about who to vote for in the Governor's race.  The only thing I am ABSOLUTELY positive about is that Hickenlooper, clearly a progressive that will take us further down that track, is not what we need.  That world view is disastrous for many many reasons.  The above link will take you to an article in which Hickenlooper  basically echoes Cass Sunstein calling us all "Homer Simpson" and Barrack Obama claiming people of principle are just "clinging to their guns and religion."  I do not want this man representing me or anyone else.

That said we have a choice: Maes, who won the primary "fair and square" or Tancredo who decided a third party run was the right thing to do.

We've debated the pros and cons of each of these candidates using 9-12 principles.  At this point it appears that Tancredo would have a chance of being our next governor if, as I said in an earlier post, he and Maes would put their egos aside in order to turn the train around I believe Hickenlooper would not win.  It still doesn't seem they are willing to do that.

There is much to dislike about either choice, but, to state it simply, "it is what it is."  I believe we need to turn the progressive train around and we need to do it soon.  If we don't do what is necessary to keep a progressive out of this office the train goes further down the track.  And if, by arguing about Maes is right or Tancredo is right, we insist on our being in the right at the expense of coming together more and more of our liberties will die.

Finally, we have a system that we can use to make our desires known to whoever gets elected.  We are awake now and will continue to use it to restore the integrity of our Constitutional Republic.  We don't have to agree on everything to join together.  You might be interested in reading my earlier post on "Divide and Control" to think about how keeping us divided gives the progressives more power.

I think I'll go fill out my ballot now. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment